Infusing a family holiday with cultural experiences whilst keeping it light is a clever stunt to pull off; Elegant Resorts do it all the time.
With over thirty years’ experience, Elegant Resorts are experts in choosing luxury resorts with just the right balance of fun and learning.
Handpicking every resort individually, they leave nothing to chance when it comes to essentials like fantastic kids clubs, outdoor activities, and gorgeous settings.
It’s time to travel to the authentic heart of some of the world’s most fascinating countries so have a look at four destinations where Elegant Resorts show that culture is just another part of the amazing adventure for kids.
1/4 Tangalle, Sri Lanka
Anantara Peace Haven Tangalle Resort couldn’t be more aptly named. Sitting on the unspoiled south coast of Sri Lanka, surrounded by the lush grounds of a one-time coconut plantation, and overlooking the Indian Ocean, it’s the very essence of escapism.
Don’t worry, tranquil doesn’t translate as dull. Between the resort’s innovative clubs, masses of water sports and beachy fun, kids won’t have time for boredom. For little artists, experience traditional craft classes with local artisans, or adventurers can borrow bikes and go exploring.
Ritipanna fishermen still work the waters around local towns and villages here. Or, to really get on the wild side, this area’s also world famous for migrating whales and nesting turtles, at the right time of year.
Anantara Peace Haven Tangalle Resort
- Five star luxury resort, beachfront, on Sri Lanka’s stunning south coast.
- One and two bedroom villas with pools; garden and beachfront family suites.
- Kids clubhouse and dedicated family pool areas.
- Water sports on the Indian Ocean, and kids tuition at Anantara Surf Centre.
- Six restaurants and bars, including the exciting Verele Teppanyaki Bar.
- Anantara Ayurvedic Spa and wellness centre.
- Wewurukannala Temple and Mulkirigala Rock Monastery are both just a short drive from Peace Haven.
- Nearby Tangalle is one of the prettiest towns on the south coast, and the impressive colonial city of Galle is just over an hour west of Peace Haven.
- Seven nights in a Premier Beach Access Room at Anantara Peace Haven, from £5640 per family of three.
Learn more about authentic Sri Lanka staying at Anantara Peace Haven Tangalle.
2/4 Cape Town, South Africa
South Africa’s ‘Mother City’ is oldest in the country and dense with so many mesmerising sights, it’s easy to lose count. Cape Town is spectacular from its North Atlantic beaches to the heights of legendary Table Mountain.
One & Only Cape Town is right at the heart of Victoria & Albert Waterfront, the city’s famous harbour district, and ‘the’ place to stay in Cape Town. A fabulous family resort in its own right, it’s also a perfect base for exploring the colourful and cobbled streets of the Bo Kaap district, or strolling through Company’s Garden, the art gallery-packed park and heritage site. Two Oceans Aquarium is right next door, and must-do Table Mountain Cableway is just a short drive away.
Travelling further afield, days out along Cape Town’s stunning coast are wonderfully easy from One & Only. The 2000 strong colony of African Penguins on Boulders Beach is less than 40 minutes east of the city. And you only have to go a little further for a compulsory family selfie at iconic Cape of Good Hope.
One & Only Cape Town
- Five star luxury resort in the heart of Victoria & Albert Waterfront.
- Two bedroom family suites, with separate dining room and lounge.
- Activity-packed KidsOnly and TeensOnly children’s clubs.
- Close to North Atlantic beaches, city centre, Table Mountain National Park and Marine Reserve.
- Three resort restaurants, including Africa’s only Nobu.
- Free-form infinity pool, and ESPA Spa.
- Victoria & Albert Waterfront is the most visited attraction in South Africa.
- One & Only is minutes from the city centre, and a short drive from Simon’s Town and Boulder Beach at the start of the legendary Garden Route.
- Seven nights in a Marina Harbour Room at One & Only Cape Town from £6330 per family of six.
Learn more about unforgettable family holidays at One & Only Cape Town.
3/4 Dubrovnik, Croatia
Dubrovnik is one of the most remarkable walled cities in Europe and may be more familiar to young Game of Thrones’ fans, as King’s Landing. Naturally, there are location tours a to try but wandering around the old town, with no particular plan, is just as much of an adventure.
Sun Gardens, just west of Dubrovnik, sets the tone for a family holiday brimming with engaging history, ancient culture, gorgeous cities, and the endless allure of the Adriatic’s loveliest coastline.
Island hopping is almost compulsory in this part of the world; start with the short sail to atmospheric Lokrum for a taste of the tradition. Little seafarers will love canoeing and kayaking around Dubrovnik’s secret coves and caves. Cycling traditional coastal towns and villages is another great family experience, and if you don’t know where to begin, Sun Gardens’ concierges are the local experts to ask.
- Five star resort overlooking the Adriatic, just west of Dubrovnik.
- Choice of Junior Suites, and Residences for larger families.
- Marco Polo Kids Club for children from four to 11 years.
- Sports centre, days out, social activities for teens.
- Family shows and evening entertainment for kids.
- 17 restaurants and bars; award-winning Sun Gardens Spa and hammam.
- The historic walled city of Dubrovnik is 20 minutes’ drive west of the resort.
- Traditional towns and villages, the Makarska Riviera, and several authentic Adriatic islands, are all with easy reach of Sun Gardens.
- Seven nights in a Deluxe One Bedroom Residence, with sea view, at Sun Gardens from £4180 per family of three.
Learn more about historic family holidays at Sun Gardens.
4/4 Green Mountains, Oman
Oman is the sultanate famous for protecting its heritage, nurturing traditional lifestyles, and rejecting tall towers in favour of more authentic architecture, an attitude beautifully reflected throughout opulent Anantara Al Jabhar Al Akhdar.
Creative kids clubs, sociable spaces for teens, and a warm, family atmosphere are Anantara signatures, but the resort’s amazing activities owe almost everything to Oman.
You can all learn to cook like locals or see the souks, streets, mosques and monuments on guided tours of Muscat. Hikes or cycles along ancient trails are fantastic cultural experiences and visits to Green Turtle Beach or dolphin-watching cruises aboard traditional dhows, are so much fun, even the keenest eyed kid won’t spot the learning.
Anantara Al Jabhar Al Akhdar
- Five star luxury resort set in Oman’s magnificent, Green Mountains.
- Premier Rooms are the largest in Oman.
- VIP family villas with private pools, and dedicated staff.
- Asfour Kids Club is active, indoor and outdoor, fun for four to 12 year olds.
- Jabel Teens Club is a balanced mix of sporty adventure and chill space.
- A spectacular landscape for walking, hiking, mountain biking, and climbing.
- Five restaurants, bars and cafés.
- Anantara Spa with hammam and indoor pool.
- Outdoor infinity pool and separate children’s pool.
- Wide range of cultural activities including: cooking lessons; guided hikes and cycles; tours of Muscat; dhow cruises; visits to local villages.
- Five nights in a Premier Canyon Room at Anantara Al Jabhar Al Akhdar, from £4190 per family of three.