Planning a family staycation this year? Vrbo, a global expert for family holiday homes for more than 25 years, has thousands of holiday homes in the UK to choose from and makes picking the perfect one for your family easy and surprisingly good fun.
After 25 years of matching people and properties, Vrbo now offers more than two million holiday homes across the globe. So think of anywhere and there’s a good chance Vrbo have a holiday rental right there, ready, waiting and within your budget. Of course, in the UK this year most families are thinking staycation for spring or summer and looking for more peace of mind than ever when it comes to holiday bookings.
Not only does Vrbo have one of the UK’s widest selections of holiday homes to rent in 2021, everywhere from Cornwall to the Highlands of Scotland is covered by a Book With Confidence Guarantee. On the planning front, Vrbo’s new Trip Board feature lets families share the fun of choosing a holiday home; which keeps everyone happy and definitely de-stresses multi-gen family staycation plans. You can even get together and take Virtual Tours of a variety of Vrbo holiday rentals in the UK now too. And if a walkthrough isn’t quite enough to answer all your questions, just ask the Vrbo Virtual Assistant, available online 24/7 for help and advice.
So with the possibility of travel opening up from 12 April 2021, where would you like to plan a family staycation in the UK this year? Start with a look at 10 amazing holiday homes all over the country, handpicked by Vrbo with families in mind.
Yew Tree Cottage, Peak District National Park. Sleeps 4
Set in the North Derbyshire village of Fenny Bentley, Yew Tree is a perfect English cottage right down to its flower-filled garden and picket gate. If your family staycation demands traditional charm and character, you’ll find it here, inside and out. But thanks to careful renovation by local craftsmen this lovely home also has a modern family kitchen, cosy living room with wood burning stove and two pretty double bedrooms to go with its original beams and fireplaces. Dovedale is nearby and the Peak District National Park is like a vast, natural adventure playground for kids, right on the doorstep.
- Two double bedrooms; one bathroom; living room; family kitchen
- Mature, private garden with outdoor seating area.
- On the southern edge of the Peak District National Park.
- Fenny Bentley is three miles north of Ashbourne.
- Close to Dovedale Stepping Stones and the Tissington Trail cycleway.
Find out more about Yew Tree Cottage for a family staycation
Kittiwake, Hallsands, South Devon. Sleeps 8
Big sea views and even bigger beaches are on most family staycation wish lists this year. And Kittiwake cottage on the South Devon coast ticks both those boxes and sits on an elevated site too. So the sea views here aren’t just big, they’re close to panoramic, and everywhere, from the sitting room windows and bedrooms to the pretty garden patio. Kittiwake is a good choice for a multi-gen family holiday as it sleeps eight guests and is also pet friendly.
- Four double bedrooms; two bathrooms; living room; family kitchen.
- Garden, outdoor patio and beachfront location.
- The little village of Hallsands is one of the most southerly points on Devon’s coast.
- Minutes from the beach and close to the South West Coast Path.
- Blackpool Sands and Torcross Beach are both nearby.
Find out more about Kittiwake for a family staycation
Mill Cottage, Braunton, North Devon. Sleeps 4
A 17th century cottage with a still working waterwheel is the type of holiday home that turns a family staycation into a fairy tale for kids. Mill Cottage’s pretty garden is also bordered by the River Caen, for a little extra enchantment. The nearby village of Braunton is a short walk away for shops, restaurants and even surfing supplies. And if you want to stretch your legs a little more, head for the beach at Saunton Sands, three miles walk to the west of Mill Cottage – or an even easier drive.
- Two bedrooms; one shower room; living room; kitchen.
- Enclosed garden, outdoor seating and working watermill.
- Five minutes walk from village of Braunton.
- Close to Saunton Sands, Woolacombe and Westward Ho! Beaches.
- Braunton sits on the edge of the North Devon area of outstanding natural beauty.
Find out more about Mill Cottage for a family staycation
Smithycroft, Combe St. Nicholas, Somerset. Sleeps 6
A holiday home as charming as Smithycroft and within easy reach of Dorset’s remarkable Jurassic Coast is what the best family staycation dreams are all about this year. This lovely thatched cottage is surrounded by South West countryside with its well marked paths and trails, so it’s made for family walks. And nearby Lyme Regis will thrill young would-be palaeontologists. The cottage itself has been thoughtfully renovated and mixes original features such as an inglenook fireplace with luxuries like a rolltop bath and a large, well designed family kitchen.
- Three bedrooms; two bathrooms; sitting room; family kitchen
- Fully enclosed garden with outdoor dining area.
- In Combe St. Nicholas village on the edge of the Blackdown Hills area of outstanding natural beauty.
- Less than an hour’s drive from Cheddar Gorge.
- Just over 30 minutes drive from Lyme Regis and the Jurassic Coast.
Find out more about Smithycroft for a family staycation
Motor Vessel Till, York. Sleeps 6
A boating holiday is an amazing adventure for kids, but mostly a lot of work for the grown-up crew. This houseboat on the River Ouse is a break for everyone. Moored just five minutes from the historic centre of York, it’s carefully designed to make a family staycation effortless, though still with a nautical feel. Think portholes and a cute, cabin-like sitting room; only no sailing necessary, just a lot of fun and some amazing memories of staying on the only houseboat in York with its own mooring.
- Three bedrooms; one bathroom; kitchen; living room.
- Enclosed mooring area with deckchairs and space for a BBQ.
- Moored in Clementhorpe, a short walk from York city centre.
- York is the city for York Minster, the Shambles and the JORVIK Viking Centre.
- North York Moors National Park is just over 30 minutes’ drive north of York.
Find out more about Motor Vessel Till for a family staycation
Pele Tower, Whittingham Vale, Northumberland. Sleeps 7
Celebrate the welcome return of holidays with a family staycation at Pele Tower, a 13th century keep, close to Northumberland National Park. Barrelled ceilings, carved stone fireplaces and a full-size snooker table all add to the sense of grandeur here. But this comfortable family home manages to feel cosy and welcoming too. And as an extra bit of drama for kids, Whittingham Vale is just minutes from Alnwick Castle, better known as Hogwarts in the Harry Potter movies.
- Three bedrooms; two bathrooms; living room; family kitchen; games room.
- Outdoor terrace, garden and open countryside views.
- Set in the village of Whittingham Vale, a short drive from Alnwyck Castle.
- Minutes from Northumberland National Park.
- Half an hour from the Northumberland Coast area of outstanding natural beauty.
Find out more about Pele Tower for a family staycation
Dalkeith House, Newcastleton, Scottish Borders. Sleeps 10
Dalkeith House is a grand, but not even slightly stuffy, Georgian Manse in the Scottish Borders and the perfect setting for a large family staycation. Five bedrooms, four bathrooms and a big, well-equipped kitchen make for a great balance of together time and space to yourself. Kids will love the interesting garden – dogs too. And you’re right in the heart of the traditional border village of Newcastleton, minutes from mountain biking and hiking trails, and within easy reach of Northumberland National Park and the Dark Skies at Kielder Observatory.
- Five bedrooms; four bathrooms; living room; dining room; family kitchen.
- Large, enclosed garden with patio, terrace and BBQ.
- Set in the village of Newcastleton, which has pubs, restaurants and a golf course.
- Close to 7 Stanes for mountain biking and forest walks.
- Half an hour from the Northumberland National Park and Kielder Observatory.
Find out more about Dalkeith House for a family staycation
Alpaca Cottage, Frampton, Dorset. Sleeps 2
There really are alpaca at this charming cottage in Frampton, Dorset. A herd of 14 to be exact, and they roam the neighbouring parkland, originally landscaped by Capability Brown and another reason why this property is so charming. If no family staycation is complete without animal encounters, kids can get close to alpaca at feeding time and even take them on guided walks. The River Frome is just a few minutes away – perfect for paddling. And Dorset’s Jurassic Coast is a short drive south.
- One bedroom; one bathroom; living room; kitchen.
- Private garden with terrace and neighbouring parkland.
- Close to the National Cycle Path and several walking routes.
- Historic Dorchester is nearby and the Jurassic Coast is 30 minutes’ drive south.
- Bikes are available to rent and guided alpaca walks can be arranged.
Find out more about Alpaca Cottage for a family staycation
The Star Dome, Ludlow, Shropshire. Sleeps 4
The Star Dome is an extraordinary, back to nature family staycation for dreamers, aspiring astronomers and kids who love getting close to the great outdoors, but with plenty home comforts. Just for a little extra magic, The Star Dome sits in a woodland glade, features a natural fire and even has access to a Scandinavian woodfired hot tub. Beautifully furnished and supremely cosy, this experience is likely to set the bar high for any future family glamping holidays.
- One bedroom; one bathroom; living room; kitchen.
- Garden and veranda in a woodland glade.
- Close to historic Ludlow and Ludlow Castle.
- A short drive from Shropshire Hills area of outstanding natural beauty.
- Secluded setting surrounded by open countryside.
Find out more about The Star Dome for a family staycation
The Beach House, Exmouth, East Devon. Sleeps 20
There’s never been a year quite like 2021 for putting together a big, ambitious, once-in-a-lifetime family staycation. And if that’s what you have in mind, The Beach House is the ideal setting. An Arts & Crafts mansion house built in 1896 and recently restored, it’s a truly original holiday home. The sea views are spectacular. And if you don’t want to walk the few minutes to Exmouth Beach, there’s even a swimming pool in the large, landscaped gardens.
- Ten bedrooms; eight bathrooms; living room; dining room; family kitchen.
- Landscaped gardens with sea views and a seasonal outdoor swimming pool.
- Five minutes walk from Exmouth Beach.
- Great area for water sports from SUP to kitesurfing.
- On the edge of East Devon area of outstanding natural beauty and 20 minutes from Exeter.