Top 10 European road trips, and 10% off Avis family car hireSponsored
Family Traveller have teamed up with Avis to give you 10% off family car hire anywhere in Europe from now until the end of the 2018. So if you like the idea of a family road trip, this is the perfect year to plan one (or more!). Have a look at the top 10 we’ve mapped out for you already, then simply add kids, a great soundtrack, and head off.
1/10 Kid-friendly road trips from Bordeaux
Good luck trying to fun up the wine side of Bordeaux for kids. Fortunately this beautiful south west French city has a lot more going for it, and also happens to be gateway to the fabulous Landes Coast, world-class surfing beaches, and the tallest sand dune in all of Europe.
Fun family road-trip tips
- Bassin d’Arcachon – huge, beachy bay on the Atlantic coast where immense Dune du Pilat lords it over everything: it’s 100m high, kids love scrambling to the top, but you might want to take the stairs.
65 kilometres south west of Bordeaux Airport.
- Île d’Oléron – the largest French island after Corsica, famous for freshly fished oysters, fantastic family cycling, and Le Marais aux Oiseaux wildlife reserve.
189 kilometres north west of Bordeaux Airport
- Biscarosse – another lively coastal resort with water sports on France’s second largest lake, vast Atlantic beaches and great surfing: French kids learn at the surf schools here as soon as they can swim.
75 kilometres south west of Bordeaux Airport
- Angoulême – take the kids to meet Asterix and Tintin at the Centre National de la Bande Dessinée, then have a walk round the Old Town and spot the cartoon murals. In case you hadn’t guessed, Angoulême is the French capital of comic strips.
130 kilometres north east of Bordeaux Airport
- Direct UK flights to Bordeaux take one hour and 30 minutes year round.