Abu Dhabi: the world-first emirate for family attractions
Abu Dhabi is definitely the relaxed and cool emirate, which you might expect since it is the UAE capital, and the place to see some of the world’s most talked-about new architecture.
But even with all that in mind Abu Dhabi will probably still come as a surprise. Not least of all because Etihad Airways now fly there direct from the UK in under seven hours, year round. And if you’re already thinking winter sun and no long haul, you can add no jet lag into the mix as well.
But what’s most amazing about Abu Dhabi at the moment, is how many of its family attractions aren’t just phenomenal, they’re world-firsts too. Dozens are also piled high with international awards, and it sometimes seems as if new must-dos are turning up on a monthly basis.
It can be tricky to keep up with such fast-paced fun, so to help you out here are seven of the most exhilarating and exceptional family attractions as recommended by Visit Abu Dhabi, take a look and feel inspired.
1/6 Ferrari World Abu Dhabi, Yas Island
This Ferrari-branded theme park has no less than 37 incredible rides and is another world first for Abu Dhabi. It’s also a great fit for Yas Island, which hosts the F1™ Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix each year at Yas Marina Circuit.
- 37 breathtaking rides including Formula Rossa, the world’s fastest rollercoaster: 250kmph in under five seconds.
- The new Flying Aces rollercoaster has the tallest loop in the world: 63m high with a fearsome 51˚ incline.
- Khalil’s Carwash playground brings the Ferrari fun for under- fives.
- Interactive experiences for young wannabe racers include a beat-the-clock Tyre Change Challenge; Junior Training Camp, and Driving with the Champion.
- Kids can learn all about Ferrari from concept to construction at Made in Maranello, and discover the history of the world’s most coveted cars in Galleria Ferrari.
- Six authentically Italian restaurants and cafés are perfect pit stops for refuelling.
- Entertainment comes live from La Piazza Show, on screen at Cinema Maranello, and all round the park in the shape of outsize, but cute and cuddly, Ferrari World Abu Dhabi characters.