10 easy family winter breaks in the English countrysideSponsored
After 25 years of matching people and properties, Vrbo knows exactly what you’re looking for in easy family winter breaks. Not least of all because they listen to what families like yours have to say about every single one of their UK holiday rentals.
According to Vrbo’s research, wrapping kids up for beach walks and adventures round Dartmoor National Park makes Devon as popular in winter as it is in summer. Families still love the Lake District, especially if there’s a chance of snow. And The Cotswolds also has year round appeal, thanks to its charming villages and gorgeous countryside in any weather. Norfolk’s another top spot for easy family winter breaks, with everything from the Broads and boating still in play even when it’s chilly. And wildly adventurous and untamed North Yorkshire is loved best of all for frosty drama, big starry winter skies and the sheer freedom it gives kids.
So now you know England’s favourite areas for easy family winter breaks, take a look at 10 handpicked Vrbo family holiday homes from the Yorkshire Dales to South Devon, all available to rent right now.
North Yorkshire is made for easy family winter breaks
Converted Barn, Yorkshire Dales, sleeps 5
Families describe this lovely barn conversion as a ‘peaceful haven’. It’s in a wonderful location close to the village of Skipton on the Pennine Way, so couldn’t be more perfect for outdoorsy family winter breaks. A safe, private garden gives kids plenty of space to run around. And the local area is packed with fun attractions from castles and children’s farms to steam railways and birds of prey centres.
- Three bedrooms; three bathrooms; kitchen; living room; outdoor terrace and garden.
- Log burning stove and underfloor heating.
- Popular local pub serves food and is very family-friendly.
- The Pennine Way is great for fun winter walks.
- Nearby Yorkshire Dales National Park and Forest of Bowland offer even more adventure.
The Farm House, North York Moors, sleeps 4
Family friendly, child-friendly and pet-friendly, The Farm House is a traditional cottage in North York Moors National Park. It’s surrounded by beautiful open countryside. And when you want the seaside, Whitby, Robin Hood Bay and Scarborough are all an easy drive away. The house sleeps four, but there are two other properties available to rent for if you’re planning a multi-gen holiday or thinking about sharing a winter break with other families.
- Two bedrooms; bathroom; kitchen; living room and dining room.
- Log burning stove in living room.
- Pretty cottage garden with views over countryside.
- North Riding Forest Park and Flamingo Land are both nearby.
- The North Yorkshire Coast is 30 minutes drive west of The Farm House.
Discover easy family winter breaks all over Devon
Swift Cottage, near Totnes, sleeps 4
Swift Cottage is one of nine thoughtfully restored family holiday homes on what was once a working farm near Totnes in Devon. Ideal for kids of all ages, not only does Swift Cottage have a private patio and firepit, it benefits from access to a large, heated indoor swimming pool. There’s also a communal games room, plenty of grounds for running around and a well-equipped children’s play area.
- Two bedrooms; two bathrooms; kitchen; living room; private terrace.
- Visit England Gold Award Winner since 2018.
- Communal, indoor, heated swimming pool.
- Countryside setting, family-friendly grounds, games room and kids’ play area.
- Close to Dartmoor National Park and easy driving distance from Torquay and Paignton.
Riverside Lodge, Dartmoor National Park, sleeps 4
Dartmoor National Park is the one with wild ponies, so kids love it here. This luxurious and cosy lodge sits beside the River Teign in the north east of the park. It’s not far from the lovely city of Exeter and just under an hour’s drive from beaches on the South Devon coast. Closer still, Clifford Bridge Park runs right along the river, so there’s even more space to explore, adventure and enjoy this peaceful part of Devon this winter.
- Two bedrooms; bathroom; kitchen; living room; outdoor deck.
- Open countryside setting by the River Teign in Dartmoor National Park.
- Less than an hour’s drive from South Devon coast beaches.
- Close to Exeter and a lovely moor drive from the city of Plymouth.
- Great for riverside walks, and forest walks to Castle Drogo.
Explore Cumbria for kid-friendly winter breaks
Chester’s Lodge, Coniston Water, sleeps up to 8
Newly built Chester’s Lodge is a luxurious and spacious family holiday home set on the southerly edge of lovely Coniston Water in The Lake District National Park. All four bedrooms have underfloor heating. There’s a large private garden as well as six acres of estate grounds and an enormous, south facing deck. Wrap up cosy and the deck’s a perfect spot for admiring the Lake District’s wonderful winter scenery.
- Four bedrooms; open plan living/kitchen/dining area; private grounds; large outdoor deck; outdoor dining patio.
- More than six acres of private estate grounds surround Chester’s Lodge.
- The Lake District National Park is great for family winter walks and hikes.
- Lake Windermere is an easy drive from Chester’s Lodge.
- Hikes round Coniston Water are easy and fun, even for younger kids.
Coombe View, Kendal, sleeps 4
Big star-filled night skies and both the Yorkshire Dales and Lake District National Park nearby, make Coombe View a best-of-all-worlds choice for family breaks this winter. The house is light and airy, yet it’s also incredibly warm and comfortable. Both spacious bedrooms open on to an outdoor patio. And the surrounding area is a World Heritage Site, so you can expect unspoiled and magnificent views in every direction.
- Two bedrooms; bathroom; kitchen; living room; outdoor terrace.
- Surrounded by open countryside in over 100 acres of private farmland.
- Close to both the Lake District and Yorkshire Dales.
- The historic market towns of Kendal and Sedburgh are nearby.
- A short drive from Lakeland Maze Farm Park and closer still to Kendal Castle and Kendal Museum.
Find easy family winter breaks all over The Cotswolds
Little Orchard Cottage, Chipping Campden, sleeps 4
If you could use some enchantment this winter, come to The Cotswolds and stay in Little Orchard Cottage. Not only is it fairy-tale pretty from its thatched room to the country garden, it’s right in the heart of delightful Chipping Campden. This charming English market town has everything from great local shopping to cosy pubs. But, should you feel like straying further, The Cotswolds area is stunning in winter, and both Stratford-upon-Avon and Oxford are less than an hour’s drive from Little Orchard Cottage.
- Two bedrooms; two bathrooms; kitchen; living room; terrace.
- Thatched cottage built 1710 and once the home of novelist, Graham Greene.
- Right in the heart of The Cotswolds Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
- Five minutes walk from Chipping Campden town centre.
- An easy drive to Moreton-in-Marsh, Stow-on-the-Wold and Bourton-on-the-Water.
Cotswolds holiday home, Frampton-on-Severn, sleeps 4
Frampton-on-Severn in The Cotswolds is a delightful spot for easy family winter breaks. Not only does it have the longest village green in England, its quaint architecture spans several centuries and includes everything from historic cottages to stately manor houses. This lovely holiday home sits close to the village centre, within walking distance of both excellent local pubs and an easy drive from the stunning cathedral city of Gloucester.
- Two bedrooms; bathroom; living room; games room; kitchen; outdoor terrace.
- Living room has a woodburning stove.
- American pool table in games room.
- Within easy driving distance of Gloucester and Cheltenham.
- Surrounded by traditional, honey-coloured Cotswolds villages.
Take a family winter break in adventurous Norfolk
Oak Tree Cottage, Beachamwell, sleeps up to 8
For a real get-away-from-it-all family break this winter, Norfolk is a great choice and Oak Tree Cottage couldn’t be better for adventurous kids. It’s surrounded by peaceful countryside that’s criss-crossed with safe cycling, walking and horse riding trails. Although you’re in the heart of the unspoiled Breckland area, stunning Norfolk coast beaches are a short drive away, and market towns like Swaffham and Downham Market are even closer.
- Three bedrooms; two bathrooms; kitchen; living room; terrace.
- Sitting room and dining area both have woodburning stoves.
- A fully enclosed garden and paddock is perfect for younger kids.
- Well marked, traffic free cycling and walking tracks are minutes away.
- Easy driving distance from North Norfolk coast beaches.
River Bure Holiday Cottage, sleeps up to 10
Try a totally different winter break with kids and stay in a wonderful Arts & Crafts cottage on the River Bure overlooking the Norfolk Broads. This unusual house is built on stilts and comes with its own private boat, so you can explore the area on land or water. Part thatched and all-round charming, it has an outdoor terrace, hot tub and a games room with pool table.
- Five bedrooms; four bathrooms; open plan kitchen/living/dining area; outdoor terrace.
- Sits on the River Bure with views over the Norfolk Broads.
- Large boathouse with private boat and canoe for guests’ use.
- Close to the village of Wroxham and only eight miles from Norwich.
- A short drive from beaches on the North Norfolk coast.
Vrbo has one of the UK’s widest selections of holiday homes to rent in 2021, and everywhere from Cornwall to the Highlands of Scotland is covered by a Book With Confidence Guarantee. On the planning front, Vrbo’s new Trip Board feature lets families share the fun of choosing a holiday home; which keeps everyone happy and definitely de-stresses multi-gen family holiday plans. You can even get together and take Virtual Tours of a variety of Vrbo holiday rentals in the UK now too. And if a walkthrough isn’t quite enough to answer all your questions, just ask the Vrbo Virtual Assistant, available online 24/7 for help and advice.