10 dream holiday homes for fun spring breaks with kidsSponsored
After 25 years of matching people and properties, Vrbo knows exactly what makes the best family holiday homes. Not least of all because they listen to what families like yours have to say about what they want and where.
This spring, destinations with beautiful, big, sandy beaches are in high demand and families want to get outdoors in lovely leafy countryside and rolling hills. Traditional seaside towns on just about every coast continue to be popular. The freedom of National Parks has enormous appeal for Easter holidays and spring breaks. And cities in bloom as well as historic villages also sit high on the 2022 family wish list.
With that in mind we picked five destinations in England which tick all those family dream break boxes and more. Then we handpicked 10 Vrbo holiday homes which are both amazing and available to book for Easter and spring this year. Many of them are pet-friendly and every one is ideal for kids.
Best family holiday homes in Kent this spring
Honeywood Lodge, Canterbury: sleeps 6
One of the best family holiday homes for warmer spring weather, this lovely house in Kent has an indoor swimming pool with an outdoor balcony. It’s only a short drive to the coast and luckily enough the nearest beach is beautiful Tankerton close to Whitstable. Historic and fun Canterbury is another neighbour, so this is a perfect choice for kids of all ages.
- Three bedrooms; three bathrooms; open plan kitchen; living room; games room and large, landscaped garden.
- Heated indoor swimming pool.
- Short drive from Canterbury for the Cathedral, museums and river boat tours.
- Under 30 minutes from Whitstable and Kent Coast beaches.
- Don’t miss days out to Margate for the Shell Grotto and Turner Contemporary.
Village Cottage, Woodchurch, Kent: sleeps 4
This beautifully restored cottage in the heart of Woodchurch Conservation Area couldn’t be fresher or more charming. It’s thoughtfully designed to blend indoor and outdoor space: the living room actually opens on to the patio. So if the Kent sun is shining this is a lovely home for spring holidays this year.
- Two bedrooms; one bathroom; open plan kitchen and living room opening out on to private terrace.
- Very contemporary but with nice original features like exposed beams and vaulted ceilings.
- Sissinghurst Castle and Gardens is a short drive away.
- Port Lympne Wild Animal Park is nearby and South of England Rare Breeds Centre is closer still.
- Great area for family walks and safe cycling – bring your bikes.
Find the best holiday rentals in East Sussex for school breaks
The Oast House, Robertsbridge: Sleeps 6
This charming Oast House conversion is part of a 60 acre organic farm surrounded by rolling East Sussex countryside. Expect to be greeted on arrival with fresh eggs, homemade bread and cake. That sets the tone for this friendly, breath-of-fresh-air holiday home. The interior is wonderfully original with circular bedrooms, open-stone walls, quarry tile floors and a cosy woodburning stove.
- Two bedrooms; one bathroom; sitting room; kitchen and dining room.
- Surrounded by 60 acres of organic farmland and open countryside.
- Fresh vegetables, beef, lamb and local cider can be bought from the farm in season.
- Nearby stately homes include Sissinghurst Castle and Bateman’s – Rudyard Kipling’s former home.
- Blackberry Farm Park and Battle Abbey are a short drive away.
- Kids will enjoy walks along the River Dudwell and the local Wheel Inn is an easy stroll from the Oast House.
Laughing Water, Pett Level: Sleeps 6
This large, modern beach house is just east of Hastings and has amazing sea views, as well as direct access to the sands. A nature reserve sits at the front of the house and you can see Fairlight Cliffs and Camber Sands from the first floor balcony. This is perfect choice for an easy going seaside break. But if you feel like exploring, Rye Harbour is nearby and neighbouring Hastings is packed with fun stuff for kids to see and do.
- Three bedrooms; three bathrooms; sitting room; large kitchen; first floor balcony and private garden.
- The garden leads directly to the beach or to a peaceful nature reserve.
- Hastings Country Park is a short drive east for fun days out with younger kids.
- Historic Hastings is home to the Smugglers Adventure, as well as Blue Reef Aquarium and the famous East Hill Lift.
- Local activities include horse riding and cycling, fishing, walking and bird watching.
Explore beautiful holiday houses in West Sussex this spring
Bibleham Cottage, Mayfield: sleeps 10
Pretty Bibleham dates back to the 15th century. It’s a dream country cottage in every sense from its quaint brickwork to the wonderful mature garden. Low beamed ceilings and antique furniture only add to its charm. The house also has a large outdoor swimming pool, heated to a perfect temperature from spring to autumn. And if you can tear yourself away, there are some great family walks in the lovely local countryside.
- Four bedrooms; two bathrooms; family kitchen; two sitting rooms and a pool house.
- Large, private garden with heated outdoor swimming pool, barbecue and dining terrace.
- Winnie the Pooh – Enchanted Place is one of many fairy tale days out locally.
- Bewl Water Outdoor Centre is an easy drive away for sailing, canoeing and windsurfing.
- Bodiam Castle, famous for its spectacular moat, is also nearby.
The Dunes, Camber Sands: sleeps 6
If you’re dreaming of spring by the seaside, then The Dunes could be exactly what you have in mind. This stunning family home is sleek and contemporary inside, but comes with an authentic Dungeness shingle garden and timeless views towards the vast shores of Camber Sands. Dungeness Nature Reserve is nearby, as is Hastings Country Park. And when you want to change up your beaches, beautiful Winchelsea is only minutes away by car.
- Two bedrooms; one bathroom; large, bright kitchen and open plan living room.
- Charming Dungeness shingle gardens with dining tables and chairs.
- The first floor has amazing views of vast Camber Sands, only a short walk from The Dunes.
- Hastings Country Park and Dungeness National Nature Reserve are nearby.
- Winchelsea Beach is another family favourite that’s just a short drive away.
Take your pick of the best family holiday homes in Suffolk
The Cannons, Southwold: sleeps 4
The Cannons is a mix of traditional elegance, fabulous design and seaside fun in one lovely Southwold family apartment. The light, bright interior is more like a stylish boutique hotel than a simple holiday home. Probably one of the reasons why The Cannons holds an independent Visit England 4-Star rating. Another is the fact that you’re minutes from big beaches and pretty Southwold town itself.
- Two bedrooms; two bathrooms; open-plan living, kitchen and dining space.
- The apartment is on the first floor, perfect for admiring summer sunsets.
- Southwold Beach and traditional Southwold Pier are five minutes walk away.
- Southwold is one of the most attractive seaside towns on the Suffolk coast.
- And if your heart is set on cuteness, Southwold also has Suffolk’s prettiest row of beach huts.
6 The Green, Bury St Edmunds: sleeps 4
Only a short drive from historic Bury St Edmunds, 6 The Green is a sweet thatched cottage dating back to the 17th century. It overlooks the village green and also has a secluded garden with an outdoor patio. Indoors, you’ll find exposed beams, whitewashed walls and flagstone floors as well as spacious bedrooms and recently designed kitchen and bathroom.
- Two bedrooms; one bathroom; kitchen; living room; outdoor terrace and garden.
- A wood burning stove is perfect on cooler spring evenings.
- If the weather’s sunny, enjoy breakfast on the outdoor terrace.
- Nearby Bury St Edmunds is great for restaurants, shops and historic attractions.
- An ideal choice for outdoorsy families, Lackford Lakes, West Stow Country Park and Culford Park are all within walking distance of the cottage.
Choose perfect places to stay in Hampshire this spring
Country House, Lepe: sleeps 4
Like the sound of a castle by the sea this spring? Then this unusual conversion could be just what you have in mind. Set on the Solent coast looking towards the Isle of Wight, it’s a short walk from beaches but bustling Southampton is only a short drive away and if you want an island adventure, ferry crossings to the Isle of Wight take from just 22 minutes.
- One bedroom; one bathroom; living room; kitchen and terrace.
- Spectacular sea views from the bedroom.
- The beach is just a short stroll from the garden.
- Calshot Activity Centre is a five minute drive away.
- Exbury Gardens and Steam Railway is nearby and alternative local beaches include Hamble Common and Meon Shore.
Walsingham House, Winchester: sleeps 6
Right in the historic city of Winchester, this delightful townhouse makes a great base for spring holidays. It’s in Fulflood, a peaceful residential area close to the city centre but quiet enough to enjoy mornings and evenings outdoors in the courtyard garden. If you want a little more green space, beautiful Oram’s Arbour is only a few minutes walk away.
- Three bedrooms; three bathrooms; kitchen; living room; courtyard garden.
- Fulflood area is quiet and leafy, yet convenient for the city centre.
- Winchester Cathedral and the historic city centre are easy to explore on foot.
- The city sits on the edge of South Downs National Park for adventurous days out.
- Older kids will enjoy a visit to Winchester Castle where they can see King Arthur’s legendary Round Table.
Vrbo has one of the UK’s widest selections of holiday homes to rent in 2022, and everywhere from Cornwall to the Highlands of Scotland is covered by a Book With Confidence Guarantee. On the planning front, Vrbo’s new Trip Board feature lets families share the fun of choosing a holiday home; which keeps everyone happy and definitely de-stresses multi-gen family holiday plans. You can even get together and take Virtual Tours of a variety of Vrbo holiday rentals in the UK now too. And if a walkthrough isn’t quite enough to answer all your questions, just ask the Vrbo Virtual Assistant, available online 24/7 for help and advice.