6/7 Lake District National Park, Cumbria
The Lake District is where you’ll find the highest mountain and largest lake in England. It’s also the park for Beatrix Potter, family sailing, the gingerbread village of Grasmere and more outdoor activity centres than anywhere else in the UK.
Why families love the Lake District
- Just over an hour’s drive north of Manchester.
- Great for kayaking and paddle-boarding (even if you’re a first timer).
- Vast network of walking trails, well-marked and graded in order of difficulty.
- Place to introduce kids to fell walking with local guides.
- Hill Top: Beatrix Potter’s home close to Ambleside.
Find out more about Lake District for family staycations