Exploring Florida by Car
The USA is where Hertz call home. For over 90 years, it’s been in the business of helping families like yours discover Florida the way you want – comfortably, affordably and in your ideal car.
Top tips for family car hire
1. Book early for the best deals and choice. We have locations all over the Sunshine State.
2. Make sure you take the right documents – It’s a legal requirement to have your photocard driving licence and paper counterpart with you while driving in Florida. Keep your passport with you, too.
3. Carry a credit card for any local charges or excess payments.
4. Plan your journey.
- Choose the right car for you – try our highly practical range; with plenty of space for a family of five or more, including luggage.
- Take a good map. Or, better still, get NeverLost GPS. Its up-to-date traffic info will help you avoid jams and provide extra peace of mind in unfamiliar surroundings.
- Ask the Hertz team for advice on any local attractions.
- Have boredom busters at the ready – try family favourites like I Spy, Backseat Bingo and audio books. Alternatively, opt for Hertz SiriusXM Satellite Radio, with its huge choice of commercial-free stations.
Top Florida family driving tips
1. Remember to drive on the ‘other’ side of the road in the USA – i.e. on the RIGHT!
2. Prepare yourself for the freeways. Expect anything up to five lanes; there’s no fast lane, so over/undertaking can happen in any lane. Consider opting for NeverLost GPS, which has advanced 3D lane guidance.
3. Be safe:
- Get the right child seats – all under-3s must have a US-approved child car seat; 3-4-year-olds must be secured in child restraints. No under-5s should be in the front passenger seat. Your local Hertz office will be able to help with the right range of seats and fitting advice.
- If a yellow school bus stops, all traffic in both directions must stop until the school bus moves.
- When driving inrain in Florida, it’s compulsory to turn on your low-beam (dim) headlights.
4. Watch out for toll-road payments. In Florida, they’re called Turnpikes, and costs range from 25 cents to several dollars. Payment is in exact change. To avoid queues, it may be a good idea to invest in the Hertz Plate Pass.
How to choose the right car for you
Families with young children:
Try the Toyota Corolla or Mercedes E Class (Prestige) for comfort and space.
For environmentally-conscious families:
Try the Chevrolet Malibu (Green Traveller).
For two families sharing the drive:
Try the Chevrolet Tahoe or Escalade AWD/vLincoln (Prestige).
For holidays with grandparents:
Try the Ford Explorer or Mercedes GL450 (Prestige).
For families with teenagers:
Try the Dodge challenger (Fun) or Mustang Convertible (Dream).
We’re the world’s leading car-rental company. Our size enables us to always offer you brilliant-value-for-money rates; more conveniently situated pick-up points; and a bigger choice of cars, such as our Collections ranges, which come complete with a make and model guarantee, so that the car you book is the car you drive. Our US Collections are:
- The People Carrier range, a highly practical and roomy range of five- and seven-seaters.
- The Green Traveller Collection, a fuel-efficient range, chosen especially to keep running costs low.
- The Fun Collection, a sporty range of convertibles and coupes that are sure to put a smile on your face.
- The Prestige Collection, a stylish and exhilarating range of luxury cars.
- The Dream Collection, a breathtaking range of the world’s most desirable cars.
Plus: Gold Plus Rewards – our free-to-join loyalty programme that:
- Gets you on the road faster – skip the desk and go straight to your car at over 50 of the world’s busiest airports.
- Lets you earn Hertz reward rental days – with Hertz points for every rental.
- Offers you a range of free extras – Carfirmation, where we tell you where your car’s parked before you even arrive.
- Gives you regular member only deals and discounts.