Fly to Abu Dhabi for winter sun in less than seven hours
A winter sun holiday in Abu Dhabi is an inspired idea for families this year. Direct flights from London, Manchester and Dublin to the UAE capital take just under seven hours; jet lag is not an issue and, on the all-important subject of sunshine, temperatures around 25˚ between November and February are perfect for the city’s beautiful beaches, but never too hot for kids.
Apart from guaranteeing warm winter weather without long and ultra-long haul flights, Abu Dhabi is also the most cultured and historic emirate, and the one with a noticeably laid-back atmosphere, along with a reputation for being remarkably family-friendly and thoroughly entertaining.
In other good news, Abu Dhabi has some of the world’s finest new architecture, the only Louvre Museum outside France, and an incredible choice of fabulous luxury resorts dedicated to delighting kids, pampering parents and creating unforgettable family holiday experiences.
Here’s what else Abu Dhabi tourist board think will convince you to avoid the southern hemisphere this winter and head to their home emirate instead.
1/4 Abu Dhabi family beaches
A winter sun holiday isn’t complete without some beach time in the mix, and Abu Dhabi does beaches beautifully. Many family resorts sit on the Arabian Gulf and have their own private stretches of flawless white sand, but several of the emirate’s public beaches and top-secret shores are just too good to miss:
- Corniche Beach is one of the city’s best loved beaches, not least of all because it has sensational views of Abu Dhabi and two of its three zones are reserved for families. There’s plenty of quiet space for under-fives and older kids have the fun of nearby volleyball courts, playgrounds, cycle paths and colourful boardwalks.
- Saadiyat Beach makes a complete change from Abu Dhabi’s lively city beaches. Pristine and lovely, it’s a nesting site for Hawksbill Turtles, a protected dune area, the place for eco-friendly water sports and home to the fantastic and very family-friendly Saadiyat Beach Club.
- Yas Beach has all the white sand perfection, cabanas, loungers and cool drinks you need for lazy-day sunbathing. But it’s also packed with fun family activities from SUP on the Arabian Gulf to kayaking through surrounding mangrove reserves. And if you want to catch a breath; there are several excellent restaurants here too or you could opt for a dip in beautifully designed Yas Beach infinity pool.
- Nation Riviera Beach Club belongs to The St. Regis Abu Dhabi, welcomes day guests and is everything you’d expect from a five-star resort beach. Kids will like the idea of arriving through an air-conditioned tunnel which runs under the Corniche – could it feel more exclusive?
- Al Bateen Beach is to the west of Abu Dhabi overlooking Hudairiyat Island and recently received a Blue Flag for sustainability. So you can look forward to 800m of immaculate sand, clear waters for kayaking and SUP, laid back local cafés and a friendly family vibe.