Reconnect with the natural beauty of the world around you with a retreat in Turkey that celebrates nature, wildlife and local cuisine. The family will have the chance to visit a turtle rehabilitation centre and learn how the injured creatures are nursed back to health by local experts. There’ll be time to splash around in the clear, blue waters of the Mediterranean and enjoy an easy hike through the stunning mountainous terrain between Kayakoy to Oludeniz Beach. After all that, learn some new family favourites in a traditional meze cooking class with locally foraged produce. This trip to Turkey has something for the whole family.
Why you’ll love this trip
- Spend a day on the Mediterranean Sea on a private boat, visiting small islands and swimming in the crystal waters.
- Take part in a Turkish meze cooking class with food that you’ve picked yourself, ready to return home with a host of new dishes for family dinners.
- The kids will love learning about how turtles are rehabilitated at a dedicated Sea Turtle rescue centre.
- Enjoy family time on Oludeniz Beach, a world-famous lagoon that is often listed among the top beaches in the world.
Is this trip right for you?
- Please ensure you consult your local government’s advice regarding domestic travel prior to booking this trip.
- You will need sturdy walking shoes, a hat, some sunscreen and a day pack to explore some of the historical sites. All site tours are guided but you can wander at your own pace if you prefer.
- The weather can be warmer in August, but this is the best time to enjoy the clear waters of the Mediterranean, and our activities will be timed to miss the heat of the day.
- This trip includes a full-day boat tour in Fethiye bay. Waters of the bay are rather calm. To fully enjoy the tour, do not forget to pack your swimming suit.
- This trip includes a hike of approximately 2 hours. Make sure you bring appropriate footwear and clothing.
Day 1: Dalaman/KayakoyMerhaba!
Welcome to Turkey. Upon arrival into Dalaman Airport, you and your family will be greeted by one of our friendly representatives and driven to the village of Kayakoy where you’ll be staying. This drive takes about one hour, so sit back and relax and enjoy the scenery out the window as you make your way down the Turquoise Coast. This evening you’ll meet the rest of the families and your local host at the Welcome Meeting, before enjoying an included welcome dinner at the hotel.
- Hotel (one night)
- Kayakoy – Welcome Dinner
- Dalaman – Complimentary arrival transfer to Kayakoy
A complimentary airport arrival transfer is included; valid if you are arriving on Day 1 or if you have booked pre-tour accommodation through us. You must provide your flight details to your booking agent at least 10 days prior to travel. It’s very important that you attend the welcome meeting as we will be collecting insurance and emergency contact details at this time. If you are going to be late please let your booking agent or hotel reception know.
Day 2: Fethiye/Kayakoy
This morning after breakfast, you’ll drive to the Fethiye Marina, which will take approximately 15 minutes. Here, you’ll board a private boat for the day, where you’ll have the chance to visit a number of the bays surrounding Fethiye. This seaside region is part of Turkey’s famous Turquoise Coast, so the crystal blue waters make for prime supervised swimming spots for the kids. Spend the day at your leisure, relaxing on the deck of the boat and dipping in and out of the sea. Lunch will be served on the boat. Throughout the day, you’ll stop at a range of different islands and beaches, which may include the Cleopatra Baths, Yassica Island, Bedri Rahmi Cove, Tersane Island and more. Later in the day you’ll arrive back to the marina and be driven back to the hotel. Tonight is a free night, so be sure to ask your host for a recommendation of where to taste the best local cuisine.
- Hotel (one night)
- Fethiye – Private boat tour with lunch (full day)
Day 3: Iztuzu Beach/Kayakoy
This morning after breakfast you’ll drive for approximately one and a half hours to the Dalyan Sea Turtle Research, Rescue and Rehabilitation Centre at Iztuzu Beach, a fascinating place for both kids and parents. Caretta and Green Sea turtles visit and nest in almost 20 beaches in Turkey and Iztuzu Beach is one of them. In fact, more than half of the entire world’s population of Green Sea turtles can actually be found nesting in Turkey! The centre was set up to educate locals and travellers about the conservation efforts for turtles, as well as taking care of necessary medical treatment and rehabilitation for any injured turtles found along the Mediterranean coast. Today you’ll be treated to a short talk from one of the experts at the centre about the work they do and Intrepid will make a donation on behalf of each traveller in the group. After saying goodbye to the turtles you’ll have the afternoon free to get some lunch and enjoy some beach time, before returning to your hotel for the evening.
- Hotel (one night)
- Dalyan – Sea Turtle Rescue Centre visit
- Iztuzu – Day trip and beach walk
Day 4: Lycian Way/Oludeniz Beach/Kayakoy
Today you’ll join an easy hike from where you’re staying in Kayakoy to Oludeniz Beach, which is roughly five kilometres (three miles) in length and will take about two hours. We’ll take our time and keep the kids engaged with tales of the ancient Grecian ruins that dot the picturesque mountain scenery. As you descend, you’ll reach Oludeniz Beach, a world-famous lagoon that is often listed among the top beaches in the world. Spend the rest of the day by the seaside, enjoying the natural beauty that surrounds you or wandering along the promenade for a snack or drink. This evening, the whole family will get their hands dirty as part of a Turkish meze cooking class at your hotel, using organic ingredients from the in-house garden. You’ll then have the chance to enjoy the dishes you’ve made as a farewell dinner with the group.
- Hotel (one night)
- Kayakoy – Traditional meze cooking class with dinner
- Lycian Way – hike from Kayakoy to Oludeniz Beach – free
Day 5: Kayakoy
Today you’ll say goodbye to your local leader and fellow travellers, as your Turkish family retreat comes to an end.
£590 per adult in a twin share room
£531 per child in a twin share room
Terms & Conditions
Discount applies to new bookings only, made between 5 August and 30 September 2020, for travel up to 31 December 2021. The discount applies to the land tour price only and cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer and are not combinable. Discount does not apply to local payments/kitty, permits, additional travel arrangements, international and local airfares. Standard deposit is required upon booking and full payment is due 21 days prior to departure. If booking within 21 days of departure, full payment is due immediately. All tours are subject to availability. Prices, itineraries and inclusions are subject to change without notice. Standard booking conditions apply as per Intrepid website.