Which Canary Island to choose for your family holiday
5/5 Fuerteventura – for family beach holidays
The oldest of the Canary Islands, is a wind sport legend, and home to more beaches than anywhere else in the archipelago: more than 150km of them. Just don’t a expect landscapes of sun loungers, and crowds of tourists, the sands here are wildly beautiful, and often, you’ll have them all to yourself. Undeveloped compared to its neighbours, Fuerteventura won’t suit everyone however younger kids like the freedom; sporty teens love the windsurfing, kitesurfing and plain old surfing; and soulful types have quaint villages and the charming little city of Betancuria to explore – not to mention the island’s odd collection of ancient windmills.
Why choose Fuerteventura
- Direct UK flights to Fuerteventura take four hours, 20 minutes.
- A popular day out from Lanzarote: ferry crossing from Playa Blanca is an hour.
- La Concha Beach is one of the loveliest in the Canaries.
- Lobos Islet Natural Park is a haven for monk seals and sea lions.
- Costa Calma golden sand beaches on the south of the island stretch, unbroken, for 10km.
- The entire island was designated a UNESCO biosphere in 2009.
- Good for quieter family resort towns, holiday villas and apartments.