Fun foodie adventures for kids in the Dordogne Valley
How do you get kids interested in food? Make food interesting. Or take them on a family holiday to the Dordogne Valley where nurturing a passion for all things edible starts young and the natural local larder is stuffed full to bursting with extraordinary local produce.
Throwing a bit of fun into the mix is the secret ingredient in this glorious area of South West France, and nobody knows that formula better than the culinary experts at Dordogne Valley Travel. Here’s their pick of five fun foodie adventures for families to give you a taste of how easy it is to convert kids into mini-gourmands in the deliciously exciting Dordogne Valley.
© Brigitte Beaudesson – Brive Tourisme
Kid-perfect food markets all over the Dordogne Valley
The ancient tradition of morning food markets is alive and well and flourishing in the Dordogne Valley. They’re a year-round fixture in almost every town and village, boosted by an incredible range of farmer’s markets during summer, and unbelievably cute festive markets selling all sorts of deliciousness in the run up to Christmas. Touring them all is a holiday in itself, and probably not one with masses of kid-appeal, so here are a few of the must-dos which effortlessly blend food and fun:
- Sarlat Saturday morning market in the medieval town square, and the Organic Night Market every Thursday (from 6pm in summer).
- Bergerac traditional Friday morning market, a great excuse to explore the city’s Quartier Rive Gauche.
- One of the most dramatic villages in the Dordogne Valley, La Roque-Gageac has a lovely Saturday morning market during summer. Pick up picnic supplies and take kids sailing for the afternoon on a traditional gabare riverboat.
- Monpazier for the year-round Thursday morning market held in and around Place des Cornières: the town’s medieval, arcaded main square.
- Summer farmer’s markets at Martel are spiced up for kids by the prospect of a ride on the traditional steam train once used to transport the town’s legendary Black Diamonds AKA truffles.