Fun and family-friendly ski resorts in France this winter
France is covered in mountain ranges and, come winter, you can ski just about anywhere from the Côte d’Azur to the Jura Alps. Finding the right resort, in the right area, that works for your family ski-holiday can take some time. So here are five Family Traveller favourites for this winter to give you a head start.
1/5 Flaine, Haute-Savoie: Grand Massif ski area
Flaine won’t stun you with heritage charm, but it’s one of the leading ski-in-ski-out resorts in France, and completely car-free, which goes a long way to compensate for the purpose-built design. It’s also right in the heart of the Grand Massif ski area, so if you want a touch of fairy-tale prettiness, there’s no shortage of traditional villages nearby to go gaze upon.
Good for families
- Long, snow sure season, and over 50% beginner runs.
- Ski-in-ski-out hotels and apartments.
- École du Ski Français, lessons from age five, 75 multi-lingual instructors.
- Club Piou Piou fun intro to skiing from age three.
- Childcare from six months to 12 years.
- Lively resort centre with dozens of family restaurants.
- Beginners’ lift system.
- Aquatic Centre, indoor climbing centre, ice-rink, cinema, bowling.
- Big Snow Bag, snowmobiling, snow-kiting, ice quad bikes.
- Traditional Christmas and New Year celebrations.
Where to stay
Les Terrasse d’Hélios Residence
How to get to Flaine
Direct flights from UK to Geneva Airport, one hour and 35 minutes.
Flaine is one hour and 22 minutes drive from Geneva.