Recently certified as Asia’s first sustainable island destination, Sentosa has a lot to shout about. And its fresher, greener and more natural approach to fun has already earned it a global fan base. But how does the mix of wildly exciting attractions, unspoiled nature, beautiful beaches and great ethics work for families. Find out for yourself.
It’s not going too far to say that a visit to Sentosa is now one of the family must-dos in Singapore. And why wouldn’t it be?
The idea of escaping to a green and tranquil island with beautiful beaches just 15 minutes from the city centre, is irresistible. Even if natural loveliness was the only asset here, it would be enough. But there’s so much more to Sentosa that experiencing it all in one day is practically impossible. Although, depending on your family energy levels, you could try.
Stunning Sentosa hotels to match your mood
Alternatively, think about a longer stay, take your time to discover everything at your own pace and enjoy a little of Sentosa’s already legendary hospitality.
No fewer than 19 hotels are now at home here and each one is exceptional in its own way. If we tell you that they indulge just about every possible mood, you might find that hard to believe, until you discover there’s even a dedicated pet-friendly hotel. Proof if you need it that Sentosa takes the spirit of family very seriously and leaves no member out of the mix.
Every minute brings a new discovery for kids
Of course kids are less likely to care about where they sleep. What takes priority for them is how much opportunity there is for endless adventure. On Sentosa, we guarantee the opportunities for that are limitless and cover every possible idea of fun from scream-worthy rides at Universal Studios Singapore to a lazy afternoon on the beach.
Universal Studios Singapore may be the first and only one of its kind in Asia, but it’s far from the only excitement. You’ll find legends like Madame Tussauds Singapore here alongside thrills such as Mega Adventure Park, Skyline Luge Singapore and Sentosa 4D AdventureLand – to name just a few.
Even learning is an adventure on Sentosa
‘Where discovery never ends’ is the Sentosa philosophy and it’s a promise that’s kept: much to the delight of parents and inquisitive kids. So you won’t be too surprised to find that learning plays an important part in many experiences. Although even education comes with a unique Sentosa-spin.
Take Trickeye @ Southside for example. It’s called a museum but, unlike any other museum, visitors curate their own experience through the free XR Museum app and Augmented Reality technology. Remember we said you won’t see everything in a day? If it was up to kids, they’d happily spend an entire day in Trickeye @ Southside alone. It’s also a bit of a TikTok and Instagram darling.
A natural choice for multi-gen family breaks
However, discovery without limits has a very natural side on Sentosa too. With all the excitement, it would be easy to forget that this lovely island existed long before theme parks and stunning resort hotels. So a great deal of energy has gone into enhancing the organic experience and encouraging families to explore every aspect of Sentosa and immerse themselves fully in its heart and soul.
It’s also probably fair to say that this harmonious blend of natural beauty and extraordinary attractions is what makes this such a perfect destination for multi-generational breaks.
The age old challenge of keeping everyone happy simply doesn’t arise here. Not only is there something for everyone, so many experiences have effortless cross-generational appeal. Of course that’s a lot of shared fun. However, it’s also the perfect environment for families to reconnect, relax and spend time together, free from every day distractions. Although, if you manage to persuade Grandma to hit the slides at Adventure Cove Waterpark, even better.
Seven secrets of Sentosa
Sentosa looks and feels thrilling and with such a lot going on you might miss its gentler, more hidden side. Naturally you’ll want to explore and discover some secrets for yourself, so here are just seven to get you started.
- Tucked into the tranquil west of Sentosa, discover Imbiah rainforest on a series of lovely nature trails. An easy breather in between attractions for kids as well as the perfect place to discover how Sentosa is protecting its natural environment.
- Meet the Explorers of Sentosa on Palawan Beach. Created by renowned international artist Thomas Dambo, these giants are made of upcycled materials and coming across each one of the four is a delight, and not just for kids.
- Sentosa is a gateway to the Southern Islands of Singapore. So if you want to make a voyage part of your island adventure, take a yacht cruise from Sentosa Cove. Or catch the ferry from Sentosa Jetty to Lazarus Island and walk between the connected islands of Seringat, Kias and St. John’s.
- Sentosa is fresh and lively, but also steeped in history. For a glimpse of the past seek out Fort Siloso. Not only did Fort Siloso play a part in WWII sea defences, it’s one of Singapore’s National Monuments, as well as the country’s only intact coastal fort. Don’t miss the Fort Siloso Sky Walk for fabulous views.
- Beach shuttles make getting about easier, especially with younger kids. But you might be surprised to learn that every one of them is fully electric.
- Want to get about on your own terms? You can hire bikes at Siloso Beach: another great fit for a multi-gen break.
- Between its pedal power and electric shuttles, protected natural environment and commitment to responsible tourism, Sentosa is proud to call itself sustainable. But it’s not just self-acclaimed. In August 2022, it became the first island destination in Asia to be certified sustainable by the Global Sustainable Tourism Council.
Top (not so secret) family attractions
Nature and fun co-exist in perfect harmony on Sentosa, which is part of the reason why it has become Asia’s first sustainable island destination. So now you know about the gentle secrets, take a look at some of its major attractions.
- Every evening after dark, Magical Shores transforms Siloso Beach into a dazzling light and sound spectacle. Nature and technology blend to create an incredible display and you can just come along and gaze in wonder. It’s free and another bit of magic that gets a lot of love on social media.
- As well as Asia’s only Universal Studios’ theme park, Sentosa is also home to S.E.A. Aquarium, Sentosa 4D AdventureLand, iFly Singapore, Dolphin Island, Skypark Sentosa by AJ Hackett and many more thrilling family attractions.
- Feeling beachy? Head to Siloso Beach for water sports at Ola Beach Club. Hop on a tram for Palawan Beach and cross the rope bridge to the “Southernmost Point of Continental Asia”. Or reset your day and chill on tranquil Tanjong Beach.
- Resorts World Sentosa is the place to shop with intent at 45 glittering stores selling everything from fine art to leading luxury brands. For a more laid-back shopping vibe, go browsing at Sentosa Cove.
- Come hungry. You’ll find over 100 places to eat, drink and snack from artisan bakers and beach bars to family friendly restaurants and fine dining elegance.
- If you want to soothe, you’ve a choice of seven stunning spas including AWAY Spa at W Singapore, Sentosa Cove and stress-relieving Chi, The Spa at Shangri-La Rasa Sentosa, Siloso Point.
- The temptation to stay over on Sentosa is almost irresistible. Several of the island resorts are already high on most family’s must-stay lists. Although there are just as many you may be discovering for the first time. One thing is certain, whichever hotel appeals to you, it will have won a place here, not only for its exceptional quality and service, but also for sharing Sentosa’s commitment to sustainability.
How to get to Sentosa
Sentosa is 500 hectares of carefully protected land just 15 minutes away from the centre of Singapore. Now you know why you should come with your family, here’s how to get there.
- By car or taxi, Sentosa is a 15-minute drive from Singapore’s central business and shopping districts.
- If you want to walk to the island, the picturesque Sentosa Boardwalk lets you do just that.
- There’s also a regular bus service from Singapore city centre, as well as the Sentosa Express monorail from VivoCity.
- For the best views and maximum excitement, take the iconic Singapore Cable Car from Harbourfront Tower.
Now you know what’s fresh, new and naturally good fun for families on Sentosa, start making plans. Visit Sentosa for everything you need from booking accommodation and tickets for attractions to special offers and event news.